Thursday, September 16, 2010

Still Life - Teapot

Rationale:
For the still life I wanted to show a bright red teapot sitting on the window sill.  I wanted outside the window to look a bit dark, stormy and cold.  It reminds me of cold winter nights where you sit inside and make yourself some tea.  This was my inspiration for the photo as winter has just passed, and I think this photo could easily sum up most winter nights.  For the composition, i wanted to have some space around the teapot, and a bit more space on the right, as the direction of the teapot is going to the right.  I also took the photo with slanted parallel lines in the background, to enhance the effectiveness of the composition.  The main features of the photo are line, shape, and colour.
Evaluation:
I am very pleased with this photo, I think it captures my meaning perfectly.  When looking at the photo I can imagine stories that would go with it, and memories of cold nights.  I like the cloudy, gloomy view outside of the window, I think it helps convey the message.  The strengths of the photo are the colour, and the lines.  The weaknesses are that I would prefer if there weren't so many reflections on the teapot.  I used photoshop to enhance the redness of the teapot, and I used the clone tool to get rid of some distractions in the photo, eg mark on the table.  I am pleased with the outcome of this photo, if I were to do it next time I think it would be effective to have hot steam coming out of the spout, or have the teapot pouring into a little teacup.

No comments:

Post a Comment